Wednesday 8 April 2009

Nothing left to blog..

My life as a student is almost over, the time that seemed in abundance at the beginning of this year has all but vanished before my eyes; I have submitted a half-ish draft-ish version of my dissertation, and have begun work on the last essay I shall submit for the scrutiny of RGU. The stark and sobering realisation, that a summer working full time at McDonalds now faces me, has dawned; this is an irritating thought, yet I must resign myself to the fact that although I am currently spending the majority of my time in the university library that there is no immediate and obvious financial reward for these efforts, and as the weeks pass - with driving lessons, tests, the need for savings and numerous tea and coffee breaks - I find myself increasingly skint.

Life as a full time student for the past 4 years has been comfortable, spending days in the library, taking coffee breaks whenever we please, having the freedom to take weeks or even months on a piece of work, there is little pressure for the student of today. Especially here at RGU; I can't speak for students of other universities, but here it seems that life is a great deal easier than elsewhere. When I was at college, I envisaged life at RGU to be tough and dare I say, intellectually demanding. At times, it has been: notable highlights include the Technology and Culture, and Media Semiotics modules. Notable low points include the now infamous RGU Fashion Show in 3rd year, and Public Relations and Marketing classes.

I really have no idea what path lays before me as I prepare to graduate from life as a student; there is no more shelter or elaborate pretense of progress provided by being a student. I've signed up for an online course in TEFL, which should keep me amused for a couple of months. But after that, its probably time to join the real world....'sigh'.

1 comment:

  1. highlight for me was that day, we watched people and other creatures pass by us at Aberdeen College...

    THE PIGIONS INTERNAL MONOLOUGE

    "Whats wrong with my neck?"

    bravo.
    x

    ReplyDelete