Thursday 12 March 2009

Britain, let me Love you again

I'm torn, when it comes to describing my feelings towards my country, between the love of a Great nation that has historically proved itself to be one of the free-est speaking and pioneering in the world, and of frustration and sadness with a nation in which the frown is fast becoming the facial expression of choice. I love Britain, we are a dilligent and wise persona with roots in the very creation of a free harmonious society, despite what David Cameron might say about Broken Britain. Yet, something has tripped us up in recent years that has seen our nation descend into paranoia, madness, fear and greed. I can't go anywhere without having to show an ID card to a security guard, a bus ticket to an inspector, a passport to a banker, I need to provide ID to get more ID, soon enough I'll have to pay for an ID that I don't need or want, but will needless to say be demanded to show at all of the aforementioned instances. I hear on the news that a doctor thinks taxes should be raised on chocolates (!), and that alcohol prices will go up, and that legal drinking age will go up, for our own good (what?).

I love Britain, why? I love some of the small traditions we have: I love fish and chips, not a healthy meal by all means, but then again no-one would seriously think about eating it all the time (right?). I love a pint of beer down at my local pub, but I wouldn't drink every night, and when I do drink I don't keep doing so until I think I can fly and/or bottle/knife someone.

Poor health and anti-social behaviour are problems in Britain, to solve this, it is suggested that booze and chocolate are made more expensive. I refute this; money cannot be used to solve a cultural deficite that has initially been created by money itself. Abundance and lack of self control have meant that people who like a drink or a slice of cake don't know where to stop in their indulgence and in doing so have lost what made our country Great to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment